Monday, 16 December 2013

Luqaimat (sweet dumpling)- an Arabic sweet


Luqaimat is an Arabian sweet dish - fried dumpling coated with sugar syrup. It is a common Ramadan dish. My colleague told it has another name also but I am not remembering that name. I have so many Arabian friends they used to share some good recipes with me. Break time chit chat with them gives delicious food information ;)
I am a kind of person who loves to taste different foods so when I go for shopping my eye will stick on glass shelf having foods. I simply note those names that are not familiar for me and after reaching here in office I used to ask my colleagues about those dishes.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 – 2 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp of sugar
1 tbsp of yogurt (optional)
Pinch of salt
½ cup warm milk or water (sometimes water may require around ½ cup not exact ½ cup)
Oil for fry
For syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
¼ tsp of crushed cardamom
Pinch of saffron (optional)

Preparation

1)    Mix all purpose flour, corn flour, yeast, sugar, salt and yogurt one by one
2)   Then add milk to make batter. It should be in dropping consistency not too watery and too thick
3)   Keep covered for 1 hour
4)   Prepare syrup- add sugar and water boil till it become thick syrup. Then add cardamom and saffron. Let it cool
5)   After 1 hr batter will rise enough. Heat oil in a wok. Drop very small portion of batter in oil (it will form round shape)
6)   Fry till it turn golden brown color

7)   Drain  and put fried dumpling in syrup coat well then take out and serve











Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time

Your comment and suggestion will be my inspiration